Sunday, August 11, 2013

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN PHOTOGRAPHS THE VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE ALTARS IN MEXICO

A cemetery Guadalupe in Oaxaca's San Miguel Panteon

Laurie Beth Zuckerman invites you to accompany artist and host, Rebecca Brooks to a world of colorful altars and cemetery nichos in the land of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. This adventure to Colonial Mexico is scheduled for December 10-19, 2013. Rebecca has invited me to teach a two-day Memory Nicho Workshop, an option for all who join Rebecca's Loving Lupita folk art tour, highlighting this ancient December 12 festival of La Virgen de Guadalupe.

By sharing my photos of altars dedicated to La Virgen de Guadalupe, the archetypal saint of Mexico, I hope to inspire you to join Rebecca, and myself on this unique adventure.

PLEASE visit Rebecca Brooks blog for Sunday's "Postcards from Paradise"for a taste of what she imagines for her December tour of San Miguel de Allende.

La Virgen of Guadalupe prays in a nicho shrine in
La Luz Panteon, San Miguel de Allende

A special altar to La Virgen de Guadalupe stands
at the entrance to the El Panteon municipal cemetery in Oaxaca,
decorated for the Guadalupe festival

This Guadalupe altar in the Templo San Felipé Neri,
in old Oaxaca city, is simply dressed for her season


5 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Someday I very much hope I can join you. This year I will be totally absorbed in the final days leading up to a wedding celebration the end of December.

rebecca said...

dear laurie,
i remember all those years ago discovering you through your gorgeous Iconarte. sharing a deep love for all things mexico, road side shrines, obscure chapels, shrine making, any chance to drink in the sacred, it seems life itself has convened to bring us together. i am so honored to be including you as a special guest and sojourner in the always charming san miguel de allende for Loving Lupita. i know you will bring so much to this extraordinary time of honoring the virgin of guadalupe with your insights and memory nicho workshop.
dreams really do come true!

Unknown said...

How I would love to join Rebecca again and YOU...I was originally going to be in Michoacan at this time to see the Monarchs, but sadly this Mexican state is very unsettled and dangerous. So instead we are journeying to Cuba!

will be seeing you in Longmont soon at the Musuem!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images and I so much wish I could join you. I did ask Rebecca to send me the info on the trip, but haven't received it yet. I work in a school and it's hard to get off at that time, but you never know.

Hettienne Grobler said...

as soon as I think I have now seen the most sumptious altar, you or Rebecca share another!!! I am gasping and I love it :D