Wednesday, December 4, 2013

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN PHOTOGRAPHS VIRGEN DE GUADALUPE FESTIVAL IN OAXACA











Laurie Beth Zuckerman photographed these wildly colored and beautifully eclectic Guadalupe shrines in Oaxaca, Mexico during the festival of the Virgen de Guadalupe outside of the Guadalupe church. Each of these lifesize shrine displays were designed and painted by individual vendors. The chairs and donkeys are used as props for children and parents to pose with the Guadalupe and Juan Diego for professional photographs.

On December 10, I travel to San Miguel de Allende for the festival of the Virgen de Guadalupe. I hope to find and photograph similar shrines at the churches and marketplaces celebrating the Mother of Mexico.

9 comments:

Hettienne Grobler said...

such wonderfully fun and joyous shrines! I am looking forward to your sharings of Loving Lupita!!

rebecca said...

dear laurie,
it seems since we "met" we have shared a dream to walk the cobblestones somewhere in mexico together. to share our love of old churches, shiny altars, devotional expressions of love.
in only a few days what we have hoped for years will be coming true.
i am so grateful for the wonderful collection of women who will be sharing this most remarkable time of year in san miguel together.
xo

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Wow! If that's the Virgin I'd meet in Oaxaca, I'm ready to go!!!

J C said...

These are so colorful and beautiful, and bring feelings of happiness.

GlorV1 said...

So full of colorful shrines and just beauty. Just beautiful. Thank you Laurie.

Anonymous said...

I just love these photos, Laurie, and the explanation of them. In my post today I have a link to a story in one of the L.A. papers about Our Lady of Guadalupe and her role in our own local culture. I look forward to all the new photos and stories you, Rebecca and the other journeyers return with from San Miguel.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Like a dream come true not once, but twice! Think of us while you are there and have a wonderful trip!

Gillena Cox said...

the colours are so bright and joyful

much love...

Priti Lisa said...

How exciting to be in the heat of the celebration! I will look forward to your pictures...
I am glad you explained the chair...I was wondering what Cinderella had to do with the festival of the Virgin :D ♥